View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Dungeon Fantasy, Path/Book Magic] Path/Book Magic in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I'd be more likely to adjust the Elementalist, Demonologist, and Shaman from DF9: Summoners to Path/Book magic, summoning angels, demons, elementals, fae folk, and the like (using my Path of Planar Travels), making the Pentagram spell from Magic a Path/Book ritual, and going with Paths of Elements and Form, not to mention borrowing heavily from Powers: Totems and Nature Spirits, rather than adapt the main DF templates like Bard, Cleric, and Wizard.
The point was to use the same system (or reasonably similar systems) for all casters. I don't have a problem with using it for the casters from Summoners, I just don't want to limit it to them... and forgot about that book, since I was just using Adventurers and barely remembered Sages partway through.

I think I'd file the summoning of angels under 'Cleric variant,' and am leaning toward some of the classes in Summoners using Book styles, but I need to reread that book again before I try to do even minimalist summaries of how they'd work in this version of the setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I would be more likely to adapt Path/Book to Gurps Conan than DF.
I do agree that Path/Book Magic fits the Conan setting pretty well, but I feel like I already addressed your complaint about PBM being too subtle for DF in the OP. To expand on it, though, not only is the subtlety of PBM variable, but magic being less unsubtle than the standard system can work with some playstyles.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote