View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 02:41 AM   #7
Mailanka

Default Re: Space: Desert Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I suggest adding a brief mention of Barsoom and of Mars as in Stanley Weinbaum's A Martian Odyssey, Heinlein's Red Planet, Stranger in a Strange Land etc. That Mars is not a small rock planet in Space terms.
Quote:
You seem to assume that desert worlds have to be hot, but there's no reason that they can't be mild or even rather cold. Cold desert worlds won't turn into ice worlds because there is not enough water to freeze into enough ice to cover them over.
Right, so, okay, my intention here: This is for a GURPS Space Opera... concept that I'm working on, and the idea is that it emulates the sort of Captain-and-Crew sci-f that tends to populate TV. One element of that is that you have many "single biome" planets, and that those biomes imitate what we expect. You are completely correct that in a strict definition of "desert," we mean "lacking water," but to most people, when you say "Desert," they picture a hot, sweltering landscape of sand and stone. When you load up a video game or turn on a TV show and it features a planet with such a landscape, people would cal it "a desert planet."

Hence why my desert planet is hot. It's not because that's the only way to get a world with low hydrography, but because I'm trying to show how to emulate the sort of planets I'm talking about that you might find in such sci-fi. That means the two defining characteristics for the average space opera fan of a "desert planet" would be "It's hot" and "It's dry"

(The link I gave, of course, lacked that context).

Quote:
In your GURPS Space example you don't mention the fact that with very little water vapour in their atmospheres desert planets have a greenhouse factor that is significantly lower than that of an Ocean or Garden world.

There is an abiotic process that produces oxygen and depletes water, which might lead to a desert world with a breathable atmosphere if you fuzz the edges of the science a bit. Water in the upper atmosphere gets dissociated into hydrogen and oxygen by UV light from the star. The hydrogen is lost to Jeans escape, but the oxygen is retained. In fact this process is too slow to account for the breathable atmosphere of Earth, but if you make the star a it bluer and the system a bit older, and confiscate everyone's pencils and envelopes you might get away with it.
The purpose of my GURPS Space examples are to show how you might go about creating such a world "by the book," following the GURPS Space rules. On the softer-science side, I have no problem with someone simply declaring a world a desert world, and on the harder science side, I don't have a problem with someone coming up with their own planet-generation system. The purpose of that side-bar is primarily to discuss such a world in the context of the GURPS rules.

I'm completely open to the idea of expanding a new section that details the scientific mechanics of other ways to plausibly have a world (I want this particular site to cater to a sliding scale of scientific accuracy), but I honestly lack the scientific acumen to expand such a section on my other biome-worlds.

EDIT: And I believe my side-bar actually accounts for all of the stuff you mention regarding the lack of moisture, at least inasmuch as the climate rules of GURPS space covers that, which is why the black-body temperature is so high. The lower hydrography does impact those numbers, IIRC, though it's been some months since I looked at the numbers. Though, as I said, that sidebar is about staying in the lines painted by GURPS Space, rather than necessarily digging into the actual mechanics of real planets.

Last edited by Mailanka; 02-26-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote