View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #19
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post

How out of ordinary/acceptable are the "cheese" methods in my post?
I'm afraid neither use of Luck you suggested is valid - all Enchantment spells are ceremonial casting automatically, and Luck is specifically disallowed to affect the results of ceremonial casting. See "Notes on Ceremonial Magic", Magic p. 12.

If you're looking for faster enchanting options, I'd strongly recommend asking your GM about some of the options in Thaumatology. They may even choose to allow some of the options presented there on an individual character basis, rather than the whole world, based on you buying something like a perk or Unusual Background advantage. One good option to point out, if they're worried about the setting effects of mages being able to quickly make enchanted items, is the "Spending of Yourself" rules (Thaumatology, p. 109). Basically, they let you lose advantages or attributes, or gain disadvantages, and convert the character points from this into energy, at a rate of 1 CP = 25 energy. So 400 energy would end up costing 16 character points. Expensive, perhaps, but depending on the exact setting details, you may be able to buy the lost advantages back, or gain only some of the energy this way - if you and a circle of 5 other mages could each offer 20 energy, for example, through FP and Powerstones, that leaves only 280 energy left, which would only cost 12 points.

Spending of Yourself tends to have less effects on the setting, because few mages are enthusiastic about, say, losing a level of ST and a level of Per to fuel a 400-point enchantment. But you, as a player, can more easily make that decision.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote