View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #25
FJCestero

Default Re: Hold Fire in Ogre/GEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I agree that the deployment was sub-optimal. But it hard to reply when he says, "Okay, my tank is sitting there just waiting for them. It can't fire when they close the range? Then they can move out of range after taking a shot? I can't be in some kind of overwatch? How is that reasonable?"
I get your basic point, and it's not without merit.

However...

The simplest answer to your friends question is:

"Well, in OGRE there are two types of tanks: those in motion, and those on fire. That Light Tank you parked on the waters' edge? Sitting duck for any GEV who gets to pick the time and place and who's ECM is designed to handle an over-water approach. You need to deploy a few miles back so you can ambush it as it becomes vulnerable making landfall. Be a Panzer, not the Maginot Line -- you know how that turned out."

Defense-in-Depth is also a thing.

OGRE game mechanics encourages everyone to stay in motion in order to do onto others and do it first, with formations constantly moving and shifting about in a decent imitation of maneuver warfare (or at least it would if the CRT didn't kill everyone off so darned fast, but that's another topic). Hold Fire could quickly become a reason to Hold Fast, where the fight is won by whoever has the greatest range. At that point Missile Tanks take over and who really wants that?
FJCestero is offline   Reply With Quote