View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #45
CousinX

Default Re: Zhentish Rapier Fencing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Why? You don't need Off-Hand Training to PARRY with a main gauche in the off-hand, only to attack.
Using the Main-Gauche offensively is an important part of the style. I'd even allow an Unusual Training perk for a non-Weapon Master to buy Dual-Weapon Fighting (though in DF, most advanced practitioners will probably be Weapon Masters anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Well, it should, if that's what you were doing. However, as I proposed it, you add ONE weapon to the repertoire of Main-Gauche skill, the rapier. You can't use a jiann or sword-rapier without adding a separate perk (for which you'd need another 10 or 20 points in style skills), and you don't get a default to broadsword, and therefore you can't get Weapon Adaptation (Broadsword with Main-Gauche skill).
The Main-Gauche skill specifically doesn't cover use of a weapon in the primary hand, only the off-hand ... so Weapon Adaptation would allow you to use a rapier for defense in your off-hand, but not offensively without the standard -4 off-hand (or OHWT), nor in your primary hand at all.

It just doesn't feel right ... straight-up Weapon Adaptation in this situation brings up too many weird questions for my liking.
CousinX is offline   Reply With Quote