Thread: [RPM] Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
PK

Default Re: [RPM] Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarmonic View Post
Spell Wards:
It says in the book RPM24 that Spell Wards require a Lesser Control Magic affect but nothing else, yet later in the paragraph it goes on to describe rules that have other path skills being used. Overall, I find that section to be short and vague and would really like clarification and ideas as to what it means.
I just reread that paragraph and I don't see what you mean. A spell ward always uses Lesser Control Magic. The only "other Path skills" involved are the ones that the hostile mage must roll against. If it seems to say something else, can you provide a specific quote and how you're interpreting it?

Quote:
Divinations:
I think it should be official that yes/no questions don't work with this. It's kind of implied in the criteria to be counter to the spirit of the rule. The penalty is based on "total number of possible answers" and that could even be a more atrocious abuse than the 4 digit PIN given as an example.
The GM has final say on how to use this, but always look at the question the person is actually asking. As the rules say, you can't divine a question one bit at a time, so a "yes/no" that's really part of a larger question should be interpreted as actually asking the larger question.

Quote:
Greater Sense Mind:
I've got a point coming up in the game I'm running where this will be a very important contest between a PC and an NPC with comparable (very high)Path of Mind vs Will scores. (PC is going to be using magic to get all the info he can) I want to say that we go by the rules given for the Advantages of Mind Reading and Mind Probe when running this encounter. Such specifics are not given in the RPM book (One question per Quick Contest for Mind Probe, just for example) I'm the GM so what I say goes, of course, but does that seem fair?
Sure. You'll rarely go wrong looking to GURPS advantages for specifics when interpreting how an RPM spell should work.

Quote:
Hit Location:
Seems to me that for spells that do internal damage, there should be a modifier for targeting a specific body part. (Like the eye or the leg). Thoughts?
Canonically, you need the +20% "Selective Effect" enhancement (from GURPS Power-Ups 4: Enhancements) to target hit locations with internal damage. So I'd charge +4 energy and apply normal hit location modifiers.

Quote:
Resistance:
Is there really no modifier to make a spell harder to resist?
Nope, because that would be targeting a person with a hostile effect before he'd actually resisted the spell. If you want your spell to be harder to resist, buy your Path skill up.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote