View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #12
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Altered Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Mmm... alright.

I still don't particularly understand it, and I'm guessing I'll end up adding Altered Traits to more things than I have to (If you can't strengthen a body with just Strengthen Body, my instinct is to not let you sense a mind with just Sense Mind, and that instinct goes against RAW), but that's okay.
It can be hard, but once you have more experience you get a instinct for it. Also, look at spell write-ups in supplements (or my blog) for some ideas on what should be what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Oh dear. I didn't at all mean that the system as a whole was distressing! Just the imprecision in the distinction between "is fine with just Effects" and "requires Altered Traits". Plus, like you said:
I didn't take it that way. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I guess my question is, regarding Ghostdancer's third bullet point, is what does Strengthen Body (for example) do? The only options I see are that it add bonus to physical activities, which uses the Bonuses and Penalties effect, or that it increases physical stats like Basic Move or ST, which uses Altered Traits. Heck, I think I'd even build Greater Control Mind as Mind Control, and throw modifiers on it to represent the limitations of the spell (maybe a flat -80% for one shot, similar to how Favor is a one-shot Contact for 20% of the price).
Yes, the Mind Control thing has been proposed before and I'm staunchly against it in most cases. The sole exception being if the caster is trying to cast a spell (not a charm or any other conditional spell) to let someone else control another's will. That said what does Strengthen Body do? Well it could increase a target's sperm count/ovulation cycle to ensure pregnancy. It could increase a target's ability to heal by letting them use the rules for being attending to by a doctor without actually having a doctor. It could be used to put a protective casting around a plant seed to ensure it's survival through the winter. It could be used to make a a harvest more bountiful. I could go on.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote