Thread: Blunt Trauma
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
Tomsdad

Default Re: Blunt Trauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzJedi View Post
You are correct with your math, 24 damage vs. BT 8 would do 3 points of blunt trauma. I also agree with you that location does matter for blunt trauma, and limbs are not as susceptible, but the head is even more susceptible! BABT is definitely an issue even with rigid armor, and plate armor too - why do you think maces work so well against plate armor. It's not because of penetration.
Well like vitals the head gets some serious effects if even 1 pt get past the skull so that probably OK, so again I'd say call it an actual Cr injury and apply the location rules (however depending on how you do it it might never come up unless we have really high DR helmets)

On maces and plate, maces were good against plate, but it's more they are good relative to weapons that are particularly bad at plate. Plate was designed to spread the force of concussive impacts and so diffuse it. Which goes to the point about rigid armour that is actually a rigid piece where the body is held within it and not even necessarily directly in contact at all points even with arming garments etc (e.g some cuirasses), compared to rigid plates held in a flexible vest that can move and push against the body in a hard enough impact.

Anthony raises a good point about concussion, there was discussion of it (here towards the end), but again head protection was and is designed with this in mind, padding etc will mitigate it.

However bullets being so light will not impart much momentum when it come to concussion, a 7.62 Nato will have approx 8.3 kg m/s momentum I think. This was also touched on in that first thread I liked in my first post.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 04-20-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote