View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #59
adm

Default Re: Background for Clayborn Allen (mill owner) and Courtney Allen (preppie son)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If you're aiming for performance in deep snow and off-road capacity, which model Ford is the best starting point?

Again, totally not a car person. I genuinely have no clue whether the benefit of a more powerful engine oughweighs (pun not intended) the presumable disadvantage of a larger and heavier chassis when it comes to the sort of off-road winter driving that 'Jeep' guys in Iceland sometimes do for fun and profit. You know, driving on glaciers, crossing rivers and slowly chugging through waist+ high snow on their broad huge wheels with chains attached.
Tricky, for 1988 Ford had a range of engines from the 4.9L(iter) straight 6 cylinder engine to a 7.5L V8. The larger the carrying capacity, the lower geared the transmission would be for pulling weight. A 5.8L V8 F150 with the right transmission and 4 Wheel Drive would likely be your best bet.

Interestingly enough, I have a 1991 F250 with a 7.5L V8 2 wheel drive that is the last year the 1986 model was built before a major redesign. It is the worst vehicle I have ever driven on ice and snow.