View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #56
Icelander

Default Re: Background for Clayborn Allen (mill owner) and Courtney Allen (preppie son)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
And for what it's worth, the series keeps going. An F-650, for instance, is a common base for a dump truck, tow truck, fire engine, etc. (Though I remember someone did make a street-legal passenger truck out of one, perhaps just for the auto show lulz.) I think the F-750 is the biggest one they currently build (in that series). The F-350 is the biggest "normal" pickup that I've seen people driving, and those are scarce. F-250s are fairly common.

In the 80s, Ford had a "compact" pickup truck called the Ranger, smaller than an F-150.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
The F-150 is the better bet.

They all have sufficient power to deal with all but the very worst conditions, but the smaller frame will have some advantages. the F-150 will have a tighter turning radius allowing it to traverse more difficult trails.

The F-350 has double tires on both sides of the rear axle (called "dualies"). This creates a "floating" effect on snow which makes traction very difficult.

In all cases, for snow performance in a pickup, the owner will pack the back of the truck bed with 30-100lbs of sand bags for the winter. This helps to counteract the "floating" effect of having a very light back end.
So, for a personal vehicle that can handle any conditions, the Ford F-150 is a fine choice?

Would it make a difference if you wanted to be able to fit four people in it?

I know modern Ford F-150s can have decent space in the back, but what about the 80s models? Do the F-250s have more passenger space or is the same?