View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #568
Prince Charon

Default Re: Five Earths, All in a Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Thanks. Part of it is my being a Lantern fan, and part of it is 'OK, what things do I have that the spirits might decide to empower, in this scenario?' The items mentioned in the Character Notes section are all things that I already had in my room, or wore (and still wear) regularly, before I started writing Five Earths. I've even used the tarot cards for game ideas, a little, or used the ring or the pendent as a worry-stone.
OK, it's been long enough that this clarification/expansion needs to be a separate post instead of an edit: Basically, what powers and empowered items you get are not purely 'this is what you are most a fan of' or 'this is what you are most known for (if you're a writer/actor, et cetra).' As noted above, it's also a matter of opportunity, as well as what the spirits find interesting about you. So, someone who is a casual Star Trek fan who nonetheless has a Star Fleet uniform or other prop or props that he or she treasures for unrelated reasons is fairly likely to get Treknology-related enchanting skills, and/or empowered items, and if that same person has a good poker face and uses it a fair bit, might end up a Vulcan, even if they're a bigger fan of Babylon 5 - as long as their specific interest in B5 doesn't contain anything that the particular spirits that noticed them though would be amusing/interesting (which isn't to say that they would not get anything from B5, like mixing Vulcan and B5 telepathy, or gaining a working Ranger fighting pike, or Technomage skills). They would not get powers from a franchise that they don't already like, though, nor would someone start becoming a type of alien/fantasy being that they would object to becoming.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote