Thread: Rocket Boosters
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Parody

Default Re: Rocket Boosters

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
For clarity can you say where it specifies that rocket boosters need to be individual items and the space requirement paid for each set (rather than totaling the poundage and allocating space for that)?
I'm going from the text that a single booster continues to fire each turn until burnt out. If you want separately controllable boosters, you have to buy separate items (like pretty much everything in Car Wars). Each item's stats are determined by their weight, and you must round up to a full space because it says "or fraction thereof".

Otherwise, well, I don't own all the ADQs digitally to see if there was a clarification somewhere and I don't want to go unearth my physical ones. Sorry.

I can tell you that the Pyramid articles and the CWRQ/ODQ don't say much about them. The closest is where the ODQ says you can buy boosters in single pound increments but you round up to the nearest 10 for pricing. (No, there's no source referenced.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Now lets say you bundle two of the sub-boosters into a single 120lb package. If I can never fire them separately there is no practical difference in having two linked boosters or one booster that is twice as large.
The difference is that the larger one (configured for two turns) fires on the second turn without you taking a firing action, while the two smaller ones can be fired on completely different turns or fired together on one turn for multiple firing actions (or link setups). You could instead choose to make the bigger one do more acceleration once, but you have to make that choice at design time. You're paying for flexibility.

Also, depending on the math, one may be less spaces, another design consideration.

Last edited by Parody; 07-27-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote