View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Handling a 'Succeed at a cost' and 'Succeed with an unrelated benefit' in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Succeed in convincing most of them to get help with the spell . . . at the cost of some of them becoming misguided/overconfident and leaving the area of the spell's protection.
It might be possible to allow the risk of such a cost give a bonus to the roll. "I exaggerate the effectiveness of my spell, making them confident they will become immune to the zombies" might give a +2 bonus to your attempt, but to determine effect subtract 4 from MoS. This represents how well you convinced everyone normally, and however many people would be affected by adding that 4 back in is how many are deluded. So, if you are convincing 20%+MoS*10% of the group on a success and you claim the +2 "delusion" bonus from above and succeed by 5, you'll have 30% of the group convinced normally, and a further 40% who become deluded. Something like that.
You could require the player claim the bonus before rolling, or give them the option of getting it after they roll (they see they aren't convincing anyone and change tactics mid-speech).

An alternative could be to have rolls that only barely fail (MoF 1 or 2) actually succeed after all, but at a cost. I'd probably give the player the option - "They aren't convinced - you can probably manage to get enough of them if you exaggerate, but that's likely to leave some of them deluded enough to try something stupid later."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Succeed in convincing most of them (i.e. a moderate success MoS-wise), and also accidentally find some useful information about spells while talking to one of them.
Let the "convince them to calm down and help" roll serve as a Complementary Skill Roll on an attempt to gather information. You might want rules on passive information gathering to have this work.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote