View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #45
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
I am not sure if you realize I said Platinum not Plutonium, but either way, it will bend science far less than races inter-breeding with unrelated species or magic - both staples of Harn.
The element thing will bend science far more than the genetics just because it's more fundamental. You have to create elements before you can make organisms out of elements.

I did catch platinum instead of plutonium but platinum still has to be produced by nucleosynthesis and a world that makes more platimum than iron has highly variant laws of physics.

Shifting a couple of genes is trivial by comparison. It stlil probably shouldn't happen "naturally" but it's small potatoes. As an example (generally speaking), interbreeding 2 different species is TL9 stuff while mass nucleosynthesis is TL12 with a ^ on top.

Now, magic is hard but it usually seems to fit into a category of an "extra" set of laws superposed with the regular laws of physics. It doesn't _have_ to completely modify the fundamental laws of physics. Wariant nucleosynthesis does.