View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Strict hex adherence - why?

I agree...Why?!

I started off gaming TFT with hexes and chits. Then D&D with 25mm figures while continuing to play TFT with hexes and 25mm figures instead of chits.

Then I started playing miniature wargaming with 25mm figures and 15mm figures. These were played with rulers.

Then I started playing TFT with 25mm figures without hexes, but with rulers.

I found that I could set up anything, using three dimensional terrain and miniature buildings and not have to worry about hexes at all.

Using 1" = 1 virtual hex, you measure out your distances and proceed. Mark on the figure's base where front is. The front half of the figure is the virtual front three hexes. The back of the figure is the rear hex and the area from the end of the front half to the start of the rear are the side "hexes".

No need to worry about partial hexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Yeah, I have mostly not tried to fit terrain to hex grids since I started playing GURPS, which showed it wasn't really necessary.

It removes the relevance of complaints about hexagonal maps not fitting rectangular places,....
I agree with Skarg's comment. Ever since I started playing Miniature Wargames, it showed me Hexes weren't really necessary.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote