Thread: HEAL spell?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #148
Skarg

Default Re: HEAL spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The limit of the system is that combats must be trivial if you're going to have multiple of them, because after a combat that isn't trivial you're quite likely to be limping home, not continuing with the adventure.
I don't understand how we can have both played the same game. I don't recognize that as a description of what mostly happened in play, at all.

Strong tactics, better ability and equipment, circumstances and good fortune, as well as physicking, can all lead to winning fights without little or sometimes no significant injury, but it's not a certain thing. The interesting part of playing the game to me, is doing all you can to try to succeed without getting killed or seriously injured, and it can be a very satisfying joy when you manage to do that. There's tension and excitement when there's some real risk you'll get killed OR significantly injured.

Also, smart parties bring more than the minimum number of people with them, so when someone is taken out, the party isn't doomed, and hopefully there are even enough people to protect the wounded, and the wagons or pack animals or porters or scholars or whoever else is along, not just for some spicy fight, but for the trip there and back again. There's a whole interesting game in dealing with the whole process of getting a group of people through an adventure of many days across various terrain and situations. One of the main things to manage about that is not just who's dead or not, but who's injured, how injured they are, and what you can do to get them healed.

Adding easy fast healing would reduce the significance of the danger and events in many combats, making more of them trivial, and would largely remove lasting injuries as a situation.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote