View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Varyon

Default Re: [DF] Faerie Dragon racial template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Since the dragon is a bit larger than a pixie, ST might scale up a bit to ST -3 or -4.
The dragon is twice the size of the pixie, so we'd expect twice the ST, or ST 10. Come to think of it, with SM -6 being 0.2 yards and SM -4 being 0.5 yards, this is actually x2.5, or ST 12.5 (which I'd do as ST 12 + Lifting ST 1) This demonstrates just how amazingly strong pixies are. There's certainly precedent for faeries not being quite so strong, of course - the leprechaun is the same size as your dragon and has racial average of ST 6.

For HP, pixies actually have appropriate HP for their size (1), while leprechauns are a bit robust for their size (HP 4, when we'd expect HP 2 or 2.5). I'd probably have faerie dragons be more robust than leprechauns, so leave HP as-is for their ST.

Quote:
Increased DX might make sense, though it costs a lot for a creature who will likely depend on magic.
Their small size combined with the incredible maneuverability afforded by Flight (I assume they can fly, at least) means a high DX can be useful for delivering touch and/or missile spells on-target. Some sort of poisonous bite or stinger (probably with the same effect as their breath weapon) can also allow them to fight in melee in spite of their low ST (and thus low damage).

Quote:
They have a euphoria breath weapon that I don't know how to model. It targets something within 5 feet. If the target fails a saving throw, it wanders around, basically stunned for a minute. They have opportunities to snap out of it. The breath weapon "recharges" after a few seconds (1-in-3 chance per second).
Sounds like an Affliction. A 5' reach in DnD is roughly comparable to a 1 yard reach in GURPS (in either case, it lets you hit adjacent foes), but melee attacks can be Parried, which you don't want here. I'd suggest Jet +0%, which gives Range 5/10, and then Reduced Range x1/5 -20%, for Range 1/2. Note that, as this isn't a cone or area effect like most breath weapons, a high DX will help in delivering it. If it's something the character has to breathe in, consider Respiratory Agent +50% (and has the benefit of ignoring DR and the like). Note if you don't go for Respiratory Agent, you may be better off with ignoring Jet and making it Reduced Range x1/10 -30%, for Range 1/10 (if you dislike it being usable - at +3 to resist - out to 10 yards, shorten it; by RAW this gives no further discount, but it probably wouldn't break anything too badly to just give it 1/2 the worth of Reduced Range x1/10, or -15%, for a total of -45%). For the effect, GURPS does have a Euphoria effect, but that's just penalties. Daze seems the most appropriate. It has the disadvantage of ending if the character is struck, but I wouldn't be surprised to find the DnD effect to work similarly. Optionally, combine Euphoria (+30%) and Daze (+50%), which will cause the character to suffer the penalties of Euphoria (-3 to most rolls - DX, IQ, skill, and self control) once the Daze wears off. If you wish to maintain the delay between uses (note the dragons in DF have no such restriction, although they do have a cost of 2 FP per use), a 1-in-3 chance of recovering each round is roughly equivalent to a 3-round recharge. DnD rounds at least used to be ~6 seconds long, so this puts it around the same level as a 15-second recharge, -20%. If it is indeed a 1-in-3 chance each second, that's a 3-second recharge; the shortest recharge for Takes Recharge is 5 seconds and -10% - -5% for a 3-second recharge seems appropriate.

Personally, I favor a No Wounding attack with a Side Effect over Affliction. Consider Toxic Attack 2d+1 (Jet +0%; Respiratory Agent +50%; Side Effect: Daze and Euphoria +130%; No Wounding -50%; Reduced Range x1/5 -20%) [20] as opposed to Affliction (Jet +0%; Respiratory Agent +50%; Daze +50%; Euphoria +30%; Reduced Range x1/10 -30%; Reduced Range, Max Only x1/5 -10%) [19]. The former will, on average, cause the foe to resist at HT-3, with Daze lasting (20-HT, minimum 1) minutes (or until the character is hit), and Euphoria lasting (20-HT, minimum 1) minutes after Daze wears off. The latter will cause the foe to resist at HT, with Daze lasting MoF minutes (or until the character is hit) and Euphoria similarly lasting MoF minutes after Daze wears off. Each has Range 1/2, with the Side Effect build simply having half the penalty at Range 2, while Affliction gives +3 to resist. The Side Effect build also scales up more readily - each -1 to resist costs around [+5.04] (the cost of +2 to damage, which is 0.6 dice), while for Affliction each -1 to resist costs [19].

If you opt to allow bites or the like to deliver the same effect, consider taking the above builds, taking off Jet and Respiratory Agent, and adding on Follow-Up +0%. Set the resulting ability as an Alternate Attack to the breath weapon, and you're good to go.

Quote:
They have innate spells and gain more as they age, but I'll model this as gaining points and adding spells. Will probably recommend that she be a wizard or other casting class.
Consider allowing the character to get a Perk similar to Leprechaun Charms for such innate spells; this allows the character to learn them even if he/she lacks the prerequisites.