View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
Skarg

Default Re: TFT / GURPS / Dungeon Fantasy

DFRPG is also slightly different in some details of how some rules and spells work, even though it is almost the same.

The flavor of DFRPG (and the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy line) is pretty heavily "doing D&D-like games in GURPS", with much more D&D-cliche-inspired content than previous GURPS fantasy worldbooks and settings, which tended to mostly be more down to earth and either not-cliche or different cliches, and usually much less exaggerated power levels.

As someone who started with TFT, then converted my TFT campaign to GURPS as soon as GURPS came out, and who continues to prefer the TFT style of game world and gameplay without D&D cliches and tropes, I'd be a bit cautious of using DFRPG as a basis for converting TFT content to GURPS, because DFRPG has lots of D&D-style stuff that I really enjoy the absence of. Classes, super-hero-like power levels and special unrealistic character abilities, monsters that are like puzzles that call for magic and powers to beat them, genre tropes, etc.

But DFRPG IS great at condensing GURPS 4e into medieval-fantasy-only concise little books. Even I find the 4e Basic Set overwhelming with all the Generic Universal content I don't use. I prefer[red] earlier editions which were more human-centric and had manageable Basic Sets, but 4e also has some good improvements and is what most people know and play these days.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote