View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Time Travel] Idea: party short-ranged amnesiac time-travellers

Made some homework regarding the Delayed Ripple Effect I mentioned earlier. The results aren't pretty. Well, they're geeky-pretty, but they complicate play somewhat.

I mentioned one timeline being 'displaced' by another, and a 'Ripple speed' - the number used in calculating the delay between sending something timeline-changing to the past and experiencing the changes in one's present (assuming a active time-sealed suit, or having the Temporal Inertia advantage).

I'll remind that I declared that the point in time at which the Altered Timeline displaces the Original Timeline (as observed by a Suit wearer) can be calculated as follows:

T_of_displacement = T_present_departure + ((T_present_departure - T_past_arrival)/Ripple_Speed);
Ripple_Speed is declared to be 60 ('60 seconds per second').

This means that if T_present_departure equals +5 minutes, and T_past_arrival equals +0 minutes, the difference is 5 minutes. This results in T_displacement == 5' + ((5' - 0')/60) == 5'05". 5 seconds between departure and displacement.

But one need not stop there. We can calculate the temporal coordinates of the Ripple (the displacement wave) for any given point in time after the departure point.

T_displacementwave == T_past_arrival + ((T_now - T_present_departure)*Ripple_Speed)

So let's calculate where the ripple is from our point of view of a suit left in the present (5'02").

T_displacementwave == 0' + ((5'02" - 5'00")*60) == 0' (2" * 60) == 2 minutes.

So, at this point in time, I can send an object (or jump, or timeview) into the period of time between +2'00" to +5'01.(9)" and target the Original Timeline; if I try looking into (or jumping, or whatever) further into the past, I will target the Altered Timeline instead, which may be good or bad.

But you'll soon find that if double jumps are allowed (i.e. jumping from 5'04" into 5'01", and from there to, say, 3'00"), a can of worms opens. Anyone still following this?