View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Time Travel] Idea: party short-ranged amnesiac time-travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnugus View Post
This idea actually sounds quite fun. Might tweak it and run it as a one-shot with my regular group.
I'm going to focus on the assumption that the module is mean for exactly two PCs (but I'll try to keep it playable for one, or maybe even three, PCs).

Currently, I have a few ideas for puzzles that require time-jumping or time-viewing to solve.

My big stumbling block is actually the rationalization for all these events: who's who, why is the time period limited to only accept between T-30 and T+10, what is the best way to make the non-suits completely hostile towards the suits plausibly (easiest if they never were allies) etc. Deciding those things will heavily influence what kind of puzzles can be done.

It's pretty obvious that the vehicle (I'm calling it a submarine, even though it could just as well be a sub-orbital deployment platform, a Kirov or whatever) should be messing with something in the past. Nuking the enemy capital city 100 years in the past is a straightforward choice, but it need not be the case. Making it unclear who was supposed to do what is important - the suits should not know whether they were supposed to stop the craft, protect it, commandeer it or whatever (the latter should result in a failure, ultimately).

Making trips innately two-way (unless the temporal seal is broken, anyway) means that if the craft makes it in good shape, the suits will travel back to the future.

Another sticky situation with my initial setup is that suits appear at T+0, but points T-30 and T+10 are impermeable to suit time travel. That almost requires the suits to have initiated the time jump at a point in a timeline where/when the craft's temporal seal would not be active in this period, but later a Time Ripple caught up with them, 'sealing them from the outside'.