View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
DataPacRat

Default Re: [Spaceships] Dealing with Cheap World-Killers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A Space Navy or at least an Oribal Coast Guard to blow up any World-killers before they hit. It'd be much easier than Universal and Infallible Craziness Prevention.

The Orbital Guard would have many uses that were less apocalyptic.
Hm... I'm assuming the existence of Robofacs which can Von Neumann themselves to higher output levels; and that people are spreading to a variety of stars. If folk around one star went suddenly crazy, built themselves a world-killer, and launched it towards a planet 5 light-years away, how soon would the rock be detected?

Let's see, SSp44, 12 (SM+12), -2 (Pyramid 34 armor), +5 (half-hour sweeps), -75 (7B miles), +32 (SM+31 array), +10 (in plain sight), +24 (silhouetted against deep space), -8 (stealth hull) = total -2 to detect from across the system. Even assuming a $900 quadrillion automated sensor array, it's not until the rock is 300 light-seconds away that it's autodetected, which doesn't give a lot of time to get any kind of interception into place.

Even with all the rear systems being Hot Singularity Drives, pushing at 6 gees, in 300 seconds, an interceptor could only move itself about 1600 miles, meaning they'd have to be peppered pretty thickly around any potential-target planet. And even then, a pile of rubble hitting a planet at .9c is almost as bad as a single solid rock doing the same.

How else might a Guard try to handle the situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Any vacuum energy plant is still pulling energy from somewhere, just in this case it's the structure of space. That energy source can easily have a velocity, in which case performance would naturally drop off at high relative velocities (most likely it behaves like drag, in which case ships using that drive type have a speed limit). You still can't avoid having quite dangerous stuff around, but it eliminates the relativistic impactor.

This won't help if you actually need things moving at the higher speeds.
I'm not /exactly/ using vacuum energy, that's just the closest equivalent in existing GURPS books. (I'm positing something called "horizon mechanics", an expansion of the present-day theory called "quantized inertia".) I'm prepping some lovely over-pretentious technobabble that has a core of actual math. (If it matters, what's being drawn on to create the energy or momentum is cutting off all future access to a sliver of the universe near the Hubble horizon; or, put another way, converting information into energy. Which, in this theory, is also how the forces of inertia and gravity are generated.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Don't put civilization on planets. If you have super plentiful energy not dependent on stars, you have no real reason to stay on a planet. Put everyone in rotating habitats and it becomes much harder to kill massive amounts of people. You can still do it, but it becomes senseless loss of life rather than a civilization crippling blow, which is what we'd really worry about.
That's rapidly becoming my fallback plan, if I don't think of any way to keep planets intact.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."

Last edited by DataPacRat; 04-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote