View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Rasputin

Default Re: (DF) Western Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
I love Christopher R. Rice's Pyramid article "Eastern Adventures", which takes DF games to Eastern inspired lands, as "Oriental Adventures" once did for AD&D. This really should be a full DF supplement!

I'd like to see a supplement that does the same thing for Europe. Yes, DF at default generally feels more "Western" than "Eastern", but a lot of it's tropes tend more to generic fantasy rather than having a distinctly Western feel.
Two things here:
  • Rice’s article shows just how long these reskins should be. There’s no reason to go much beyond Pyramid article length. AD&D Oriental Adventures was as long as it was because it replaced huge swaths of the Players Handbook, often with itself. Most of the spells were the same. The monk was mostly the same. The attributes were the same. It added new rules for skills because AD&D thitherto had lacked them. Without doing these things, it would have been about half length, at most. A GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplement would be even less since the skill system is baked in and
  • “Generic fantasy” tropes are mostly European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
My thought would be to play up feudal relationships and the (mounted) knight in shining armor. A lot of Dungeon Fantasy plays around in a world that's rather more urban and modern that the Medieval period.
The problem is that no longer is a Dungeon Fantasy game, but rather a straight fantasy one using Dungeon Fantasy as a base for character abilities. Dungeon Fantasy is about killing monsters and taking their stuff. Can you use Dungeon Fantasy to play the game you describe? Sure. It’s a fair amount of my campaign, in fact. But those parts of my campaign are hardly Dungeon Fantasy.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote