View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Self control vs. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettop View Post
I guess, my confusion arises from the way the rules are stated on (p.360). They basically state "If something applies to everyone, use Will and ignore Self Control. If something applies only to you, use self control." Things like alcoholism, pyromania, Bloodlust, etc... are pretty easy. However, other times things can overlap. Usually in fright checks. A 20th century character might have to make a fright check upon encountering a giant spider, but would a character with arachnophobia roll Will or Self Control?
This is answered on p. B360: "If a mental disadvantage causes a negative effect on a failed self-control roll, you roll against your self-control number to resist – even if your Will roll to avoid that same effect under other circumstances would differ." (Emphasis in original).

So, if a giant spider shows up and the GM declares it's sufficiently scary to provoke a Fright Check for everyone, then most of the party rolls against Will, but the character with Arachnophobia rolls against their self-control number for that disadvantage instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettop
Or perhaps a starving character usind Will to resist the poisoned apple offered by the villain? Would he/she still roll Will if he/she had gluttony? Or is that a Self Control roll?
For a character without Gluttony, I wouldn't call for a Will roll to resist that at all. If you don't have specific disadvantages compelling behavior, in general a player can always choose to take or not to take some action, without needing a Will roll. If they did have Gluttony, then a roll would be appropriate, but it would be a self-control roll, not Will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettop
Just having trouble differentiating between the two when there is an overlap.
Overlaps are actually pretty rare, since GURPS, by and large, doesn't require Will rolls to force characters to take or not take actions, and most disadvantages with self-control rolls are about taking actions.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote