View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! Spell interpretation issue.

The way I see I, the Area spell turns multiple plants in the area, not a single targeted plant like a Regular spells is the key.

I would rule the intent of the spell not to care if the plant has parts out side of the area... it only the plants (and parts of plants) in the area effected.

Personally I would have expected more of an issue coming from the fact the area spell is not centered on the ground, than coming from using the Regular spell effects logic for an area spells.

From What is an hex?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
The height of spell effects isn't consistent, unfortunately (and were I to rebuild the game from 1986, "hexes as units" is of those things that I'd get rid of, in favor of m, m², and m³). The most general rule – from p. B239 and Magic, p. 11 – is: "They are cast on a surface – floor, ground, etc. – and their effects extend four yards (12 feet) up from that surface." There are tons of exceptions, though. Fire spells "shoot six feet high"; Earth, Water, etc. magic works with volumes, from which you must back-calculate depths from areas; and many spells specify idiosyncratic heights, like the various Dome spells, which are actually spheres with a radius equal to the spell radius, and so have variable height depending on where you're standing.

Last edited by roguebfl; 08-07-2012 at 04:45 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote