View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
cltchrn

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! Spell interpretation issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
your options as I see them:
1 - if PC wants to affect the whole tree, then he has to pay the energy for the required area;
I assume you mean the entire area for the tree, which is how I am understanding the spell as written, and rules for Area spells in general, as written.

Quote:
2 - just charge him the energy for affecting the whole tree - much like applying massive range penalties with a spell targeted on someone miles away when the PC thought they were in the next room - you wanted a vampire tree, you got a vampire tree, it just cost you your life;
Not sure how to do that practically. It's not like he couldn't tell how large the tree was; he's right underneath it.

Quote:
3 - make him target the correct area - like chucking grenades.
I remember height is greater than the width but can't recall the height off-hand but perhaps the goblin is too high anyway, eg 1yd radius, 4 yd high, but that might be walls.
How would a 1 yard radius affect both goblins? How is that like throwing grenades? The spell does not "explode" to affect the surrounding areas. Even if they are too high, he could target the area in the branches—not on the ground.

Quote:
4 - take it in the spirit written, ie any root&branch plant in the area of effect becomes vampiric.
This is somewhat ambiguous. We all know what the spell says. We are disagreeing over what that means.

Quote:
EDIT in light of your reply: area 2, centred between 2 targets with 3 yards separation, is sufficient.
That is incorrect. If they are three yards away from each other (3 empty hexes between them), a 2 yard radius (3 yards across), centered between them, would miss both of them.
cltchrn is offline   Reply With Quote