View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #18
JLV

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
My point was that, if your career path into fighting was as a member of a military force trained in a rich country, you might be taught how to deal with exotic things like chemical warfare or magic. If you started out by picking up a weapon and surviving, you wouldn't have that.

Also, how does either the well trained grunt or the thug with a weapon know that some wizard hasn't researched and created a Summon Doppelganger spell? If I were a GM, I might throw one of those in, just so that the PC doesn't know whether or not that's what happened.
MY point is that, according to the rules for disbelieving illusions in both Wizard and Advanced Wizard, EVERYBODY knows how to do it. QED, it's something taught to everyone, probably for safety reasons against insane mages or fey creatures or anyone else who might create an illusion/image for nefarious reasons, which renders your argument about "special training" moot at best.

As for the "doppelganger" argument, I have two responses:

1) There is no such creature in TFT as written. Therefore it's not an issue in the TFT system as written.

2) Assume the GM introduces "doppelgangers" to the system. So what? You attempt to disbelieve something. You fail (either because you simply failed to disbelieve, or because whatever it is isn't an illusion/image). You fight. Those three steps STILL APPLY here -- if you can't disbelieve something that actually looks like you...then it must not be an illusion/image, because you can automatically disbelieve an illusion/image that looks like you. So you fight. End of story.

(The good news is that you don't have to worry about what someone THINKS the illusion of you can do -- because it's not an illusion and it therefore has its own specific characteristics which dictate its performance, even if it's imitating your moves.)

Last edited by JLV; 01-17-2018 at 01:52 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote