View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #46
Plane

Default Re: Question about... { Shields as Advantages }

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And what, besides description, would that be?

Noting that canonically (Supers pg 780), you are wrong. The only thing you need to make a Shield Gadget is to buy it's DB (represented through ED, though this is never spelled out) and I simply disagree with what is needed to buy that DB (I say it should just be ED(B) at 5/lvl, not ED at 30/lvl).
The only functional difference between Enhanced Defenses and Defense Bonus that I can think of is the optional rule where if the roll is so close that the DB is what makes a success, that the shield takes the damage (subtracting DR as usual) whereas a gadget that gives Enhanced Defenses wouldn't do that.

Maybe it's considered a 0-point feature to do that? Has its ups and downs.

If you only bought Enhanced Block, it would only help with blocks and not make your dodges/parries any better.

I think in either case, if you buy the baseline item serving as your gadget as a shield then you should get the baseline Defense Bonus it offers, and any you buy as a Power w/ Gadget Limitations should be in addition to that, allowing you to exceed the normal limitations of shields.

For someone who wants to beef up the DR of their shields, rather than buying it raw, wouldn't it be simpler to design that as "Affliction: Advantage, Damage Resistance" ?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote