View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
JLV

Default Re: Interesting Magical Variation

My original concept here was that it would only be used for MINOR magics -- something along the lines (and potency of) cantrips in the old D&D system.

We'd talked about something like cantrips elsewhere, but seeing this made me realize I was probably over-intellectualizing the concept and it could be done very simply -- as long as the players and GM all agree on the ground rules (which for me would be: a) it has to relate to the regular spell in some discernible way, and b) it can't do much in the way of affecting the environment or inflicting damage on anyone -- it's a very tiny, weak version of the main spell).

Not sure if it's a great idea or a really bad one, but I think I might try using it next time I get a group together and see if they like it and what issues crop up with it. Something like this could solve a whole host of "problems" (not game-problems, but "concept problems" is what I'm talking about here; as in "why can I do this, but not that?" e.g., "Why can I cast a fireball, but not light a candle?") that people have had with the magic system over the years (which, let's face it, is primarily designed for tactical combat situations with everything else sort of tacked on around that solid core).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote