View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #41
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Spaceships] Missile shield vs. ramming: two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Well, I used all of the Spaceship rules at different times.

I first went into missile salvos v. point defense during the playtest for Spaceships 1. This obviously became very important when the one shot kill quality of kinetic weapons at very high velocities became evident.

A general principle that one tertiary battery given over to point defense tended to cancel out one missile battery.
When I ask what rules you used, I mean how did you actually resolve this? Because there are definitely some differences in opinion on what the Spaceships rules are, and even more so how you should employ them. Are you rolling the entire missile battery as one attack, or rolling one attack per missile? You can do either by the book, if you've got enough gunners. What about the point defense battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Even older battles that appear longer and more epic only seem that way because we tend to count shots fired rather than those that hit and almost all shells fired miss. One shell from Bismarck sank the Hood. One shell from the Rodney effectively killed Bismarck.
Having read about WWI naval battles...no, those often involved legitimately substantial numbers of hits (and didn't necessarily kill the recipient ship either).

Abysmally low hit rates, sure. Sub-percentile at least some of the time. But many ships took solidly 2-digit hit counts in battles.

I'm pretty sure age of sail ships really could and did get hammered by a lot of hits, but I don't have statistics on that.