View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #131
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: What will you not allow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Take the character that's the source of my nickname: Dr. Kromm. He has been a villain in a James Bond 007 campaign, the chief medical officer of a moon colony in a Space Opera campaign, a naturalist in a Call of Cthulhu campaign, an inventor in a GURPS campaign, an alchemist in a different GURPS campaign, a physician in an Unhallowed Metropolis campaign, and a good half-dozen other people. He has also appeared relabeled as "Dr. Schaum" a couple of times. He's always stereotypically Germanic (perhaps somewhat offensively, I'll admit), not wholly sane, and scientific-minded (skilled sometimes at medicine, sometimes at natural sciences, sometimes at engineering). Each version was tailored to the campaign: fields of expertise, backstory, and even accents changed considerably. But there's no question that the "mad Germanic scientist" archetype and "scatterbrained scientific idealist" personality were essentially the same.
Exactly. It's that world's Dr. Kromm. They're the same character, but not the same character. The details are different, their motivations may change, but, the core of the character is the same between the iterations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I've played Jareth in (in kinda this order) BECM D&D, 1st ed D&D, Ars Magica, MERP, 3.5 D&D, NERO (Boffer LARP), another Boffer LARP, Castle Falkenstien, Amber RPG, and now GURPS DF.

I've made 'the character' (as closely as possible) in EQ, EQ2, and WoW... but it's just not the same.
Right, but you wouldn't try to shoe-horn the character into, say, Star Trek, would you?

Sure, I could see someone like that re imagined as a Klingon; J'Reth, or something like that. But you wouldn't try to just have them exist, in Star Trek, as a medieval fighter-type.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote