View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #40
KarlKost

Default Re: [Spoilers?] Blue and Orange Morality: Adapting the Faerie Courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Suppose, for example, that Fae don't 'reproduce' in our sense at all. Instead, Fae are semi-spiritual beings derived from some supernatural source. Such a race of Fae might actually have more in common, psychologically, with sapient robots than with humans, at least to a degree.

They might share some biological needs with us. They might, for ex, need food and water, even if their origins are entirely supernatural. So Fae might share our biological impulse of hunger and their psychology be like ours to that extent. But they might normally only engage in sex purely for pleasure, esp. if they are infertile with each other. Life in Fairie might bear a slight resemblance to human teenage fantasies in that sense.
I want to have 3 kinds of Fae (its an adaptation from Dark Age's Fae, a game from World of Darkness)
- The Firstborn, those will be born from the Primal Magic that gives shape to all things, so, they are Primal beings of pure Magic (Primal gods and monsters, like Zeus, Anubis, but also minor beings, like Harpies, Ciclops and so on)
- The Inanime, Fae born from the elements (so, the Djinn would be Inanime Fae born from the fire element, for example, and Dryads would be Fae born from wood, and so on, Frost and Fire Giants from norse myth, even the titanic beings that are as powerful as the Gods, like Ymir or Surtur; but animals also fit here, like the Myrmidons, ants transformed into the perfect soldiers by Zeus)
- Changellings, those are the Fae with human "blood", when a human baby is exchanged with a Fae baby, both will give origin to a Changelling; or the offspring of Fae and human, or Changellings and any other Fae; also, a human slave that eats Fae food, after a time in faery lands will become a Changelling too. Examples could be like Larachnia, the greek weaver turned into a spider by Athena, Medusa, and perhaps even ascended Gods, like Dionisus, Hercules or the Nordic Baldur

Quote:
Lets suppose such Fae were still fertile...with us. All of a sudden a lot of the stories about the fickle, unpredictable nature of the Fae in their romantic relationships with us might begin to make some sense...
Yep, that would create a Changelling. I still wanna the Fae being able to come to be as Firstborns and Inanimes thou, but those two "races" need not to come from reproduction... Actually, ideas are apreciated on that regard, thanks

Quote:
Another way Fae could be profoundly alien to us: suppose they are immortal. I mean literally immortal, all the way unkillable. Their supernatural nature might mean that even if you vaporize a Sidhe, it'll reform over time and return. In that way they might be a little like Tolkien's Ainur (and indeed, in some versions of his mythology, the Sidhe are extremely minor Ainur).

So you've got a superficially human-like creature who cannot be permanently destroyed. They might still feel pain and behave superficially like us. They might try to avoid being shot or stabbed or immolated, because that hurts, but at the same time, they know they will survive whatever is about to be done to them, no matter what. Even if you tie one to a 20 megaton nuke and fire it off, he'll return in a few days or years or whatever.

Flip side of that: forms of death that are quick and painless might hold little terror to them, it's just an inconvenience at most, after all. So you get the legendary Sidhe indifference to danger. Alvion the Fairie Lord might think nothing of driving stealing a souped-up racer, driving it up the one-lane mountain road at 120 mph, swerving half off the road near a cliff to avoid oncoming traffic, and so on...because what's the worst that could happen?

Here too we get the notorious Sidhe unpredictability. Creatures immune to death might well not be all that empathetic to others in that regard. The Sidhe might casually engage in lethal violence with each other, since the outcome is temporary. They might also not be able to comprehend the human dread of and respect for death, either...
I loved that, and I'll use it. With just a little extra: to die and ressurect hurts A LOT. So, Fae gets REALLY mad when they are killed; mortals can expect the Faes at their worse after killing one of the Fair Folk. Ocasionally, one Fae may imprision another in a death trap (insine of a Vulcano, for example). Only the most hateful of the enemies do that, because all Fae knows that their rival will be free - someday. And, after eons being killed over and over... Oh boy, I guess you can imagine it. (not just that, since in this version of mine, Fae are creatures of Fate, when one Fae escapes its death prison, is because Fate decided so... And since Fate is pushing this Fae, it will give a big push... Which could mean something like 1000 points to remove disadvantages - or, even better, the trapped Fae spends the time imprisoned using its Temporary Impulse Points creating knew powers for itself, slowly cooking its spite against its enemy, all disadvantages incurred being washed away by destiny). That means that, doing this to a hated foe, means only that it will one day get free much more powerful than before, to get revenge.

Thats also one of the WORSE things that mortals do when dealing with troublesome Fair Folk that can't be destroyed.

Quote:
When you're going to be in this world until the End, Time becomes kind of an abstraction, too. Here we get the notorious danger of time warping. Sidhe might not understand why imprisoning a human for 100 years in a time warp is so dire a deed. "What's he so upset about. I was locked in the crystal cage for a 1000 years when I lost the Great Game, he's only been trapped for 50 years..."

Of course to that mortal, 50 years is time enough for his wife to die of old age, his children to grow up and have children of their own and maybe grandkids, for his home town and home country to change substantially, his friends to be gone, his house long since torn down and replaced by a other things, etc.

Sidhe society might not change recognizably in centuries or millennia, human societies are not so stable. The Sidhe might not even mean any harm when they take actions that throw a human decades or centuries out of his time...
I'll add a little bit to this: Faery lands work in a different time than us. In the faeric worlds (which I'll make as a kind of spiritual world/other dimension), one night may mean centuries in the human world (and vice versa).

Also, time can flow backwards. I human partying with the Fae one night, could return in the time of the dinossaurs!

Those time shifts are always related to FATE thou; so, the human that return 50 years later, do that for a reason, that only destiny knows.

A Fae PC could go out of its castle searching for a human baby to kidnap, so he enters the mortal world at the XXV century, takes a box from the room and puts the baby in, returns to its castle to place a bless on the baby, and go back to the mortal world to leave the baby with a mortal family. That box from XXV century however, have a holodisc with the tale of King Arthur; when the baby reaches the age of 5, the hologram tells the child the tale. The yong Merlim goes out in a quest.

When the Fae that picked the baby Merlim from the future returns once again to the human world, he returns to help Merlim fight off Morgana Le Fey and the Queen Mab
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote