View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #27
Icelander

Default Re: Coast Guard response to distress call on Jewell Island, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I'm not sure. His best bet, given all the bands that radio can use, is to try to find one that the jammer doesn't cover. The question will be if the Coast Guard are doing the same. I'd expect this to be part of the radio procedure within an organisation, but I don't know if there's a shared procedure across US federal agencies. Getting further from the jammer is a fallback if it covers all the bands he can use, but has obvious tactical problems.
It seems to be a pretty major jamming operation, affecting any and all channels anyone might be listening on. It's got to be fairly short-ranged, though, otherwise it would be alerting all kinds of people in Portland to strange happenings, though.

Best guess is a small, but fairly high powered 'dumb' jammer, set to affect as wide a range of bands as possible, located within Manhanock. It only needs to cover some 500 yds at the most (and really, much less) to affect any location we could be sending from as long as we don't dare to go outside and remain within the complex or the tunnels beneath it.

And outside is where the observation towers are, with their heavy weapons and the thermal optics mounted on the heavy weapons. Stealth is pretty difficult to achieve against that, especially if one has no military-style camouflage and reconnaissance training, just civilian Stealth skill without familiarities for avoiding military sensors.

I suppose Taylor could go outside, try to find a spot outside the jamming to transmit. He has gone through the Strategic Reconnaissance Course and the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course (now Sniper School). He certainly has the Camouflage and Stealth skill, along with the appropriate familiarities, to make it at least possible for him to stay out of sight (and thermal detection) from the observation towers.

It's been more than five years since Taylor used a radio, though, and while he does have high Soldier skill and the basics of Electronics Operation (Communications), as a practical matter, most of his radio use didn't even require a skill check. There were two 18Es in his ODA to do the fancy communication stuff when it was needed and they had expert support personnel at the home base to help them. Taylor is certainly not going to be amazing anyone with his expert level ability to defeat jamming.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote