View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: What WOULD you find in a dwarven mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Pumps to prevent flooding (unless they're operating entirely above the water table - which is possible if they're half way up a mountain)

One of those things that get forgotten at times:
  • "Outhouses" - wood or stone board with a hole in it over your standard issue 10'-adventurer-catching pit, with whatever privacy partitions dwarves may or may not want.
  • The unfortunate sod who has to empty the pits, and his tools. Buckets and shovels, but I'm thinking a chain-bucket loop would be more dwarfy than just a bucket on a rope ;)
  • The cart for moving the nightsoil
  • some place to process/rot the nightsoil before using it as a growth medium for... mushrooms probably. And probably composting other materials as well. You'll need good ventilation here because of the methane and heat being generated - both of which are pollution in a mine.
  • The farm where the product of the composting is used. Regular mushrooms, fantasy giant mushrooms, regular old crops under weird artificial lights?
Which I know as a composting toilet. Note in the link the seperate collector for urine, which will have numerous applications for dwarven chemists.