View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
Dalin

Default Re: Judging loot's value

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Yeah, that's my problem - I don't know how much. And if selling price is (40% of) lower value of estimated price and market price - it's rather important :)
I use a very wide range. I take precedent from the amount that wealth levels affect prices. So it's easily possible that a PC might undervalue something by 50% or more. Depends on the item, obviously, and how many of its valuable elements they've identified.

I usually keep all non-monetary loot in a spreadsheet with entries for the "real" value (whatever that means) and whatever they think it's worth. Whenever they sell things I calculate based on their estimate and the wealth level of the seller (modified for unusual conditions as needed).

For my old GURPS 3e game in the '90s and early '00s, I built an online database that tracked loot, who was carrying it, and magical items. Every property was private to the GM unless I unlocked it for the PC to see on their description. They could print a summary page plus little "item cards" that would fit in a Magic Card sleeves in their character binders so they could have all their special items available and easily swap them around the table. Those were the days! I don't have the resources that I once had for this sort of thing. (I'm poorer, busier, and have far less discretionary time... but someday the kids will go to college, right?)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote