View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Skarg

Default Re: Missle spells in ITL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
3d6 is a pretty neutered lightening bolt.

I could maybe see 5d6, but 3?

Brings me back to the Magic Fist days, young wizards were limited, but if you had a decent ST, you could at least power up and unload a 6d6 THUMP. albeit 6d6-12 for real damage

And you kinda needed to pump it up a few ST cause 6d6-12 only averaged 9 hits

with a 3d6 limit, that appears to handicap new wizards.
Fortunately, it's super-easy to house-rule, as long as no one objects.

I could see a group compromising and saying the limit for Magic fist is 6, fireball 4, and lighting 3 (or really anything they like).

Interesting to me is that GURPS Magic started limiting all missile spells to 3d, but later editions made it 3 x Magery, so 9d or 15d or maybe more, depending on the campaign's limit on Magery.

I think it's also important to note how a game is ruling the option to switch to Dodge. I play that you can change your option to Dodge if you haven't acted yet, if/when someone does a ranged attack on you. That tends to make being able to cream someone with a huge fireball much less certain.

Quote:
I find it interesting that Magic Fist and Fireball SPECIFICALLY state the limit of 3 ST, but...Lightening and Wizards Wrath do not. They could, but they do not.

Oversight? Or is it just assumed that Steve wanted to take the bang out of Martial Wizards knocking down Giants?
Oversight. The new rules mention that limit applies to all missile spells in the general section on Missile Spells.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote