View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #46
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Spaceships] Missile shield vs. ramming: two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Attacks were rolled as a volley both for the attacking missiles and the defending PD. I believe this to be the norm for 4th ed and the author of Spaceships and the co-author of 4e did not correct my procedure(though he did catch other problems in my detailed reports). It appeared to be what was used by everyone else as well.

I just don't see this "roll every missile" imperative. It's more simulationist but 4e has gone against simulationism in ranged combat in general and Spaceships in particular is a fast and simple combat system.
I'm not sure I'd call it an imperative, exactly...but it is permitted by the rules as written, if the attacker has the right features. And it increases performance immensely. (It's also actually an imperative per the text if your battery is turrets - the option to fire an entire battery as one attack is strictly for fixed batteries.)

While I don't know if I could respect it because I have little patience with the Rapid Fire rules being used in places where they're very non-simulationist, I do believe Spaceships might work better if it actually was written to enforce the spirit that you brought to the rules. But it's not written that way, and the way it is written either side of that missile/PD exchange gains a tremendous advantage by choosing to use their weapons otherwise.