View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#39): Daredevil, Luck, Super Luck

I ought to have included this in the original post, but what things cannot be affected by Daredevil, Luck, and Super Luck? I think I recall reading something about it in the rules for inventing and/or enchanting. for example. Stuff like the Critical Hit tables, Reaction Rolls, etc. seem like they may or may not allow "Luck" to do its thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I almost always take Luck. It keeps PCs alive. I think it is like Combat Reflexes in a way - it's a deliberate bargain because it facilitates better games.
Thanks for sharing, especially because I agree. XD

Seriously though, even though I'm using your comment to inject my own opinion on these three traits now that we are over two pages into the discussion, that is a lot easier when I have another example. Sometimes my experience with GURPS runs 180º counter to what I read on the boards. ;)

I think Luck is, if not the bargain of Combat Reflexes, a good trait to take for most characters. Mechanically, it is one of the traits (like Combat Reflexes), you might as well just give your PCs unless it flies in the face of the setting. It is one part safety net, one part "epic moment" facilitator. It even feels kind of right (for want of a better word) that what is mostly there as a safety net can be given up to instead create spectacular moments, like trying for that needed crit/max damage/etc.

Yet I've often left it off to take something else that I thought was important to the character. In hindsight, my old group probably should have discussed just making Luck a freebie, because the GM would often fudge things anyway when the dice weren't cooperating; no one wanted the game to be bogged down because a series of rolls went bad.

Daredevil, I've no experience with, as I don't think I ever played that reckless of a character. I am pretty sure I've run at least one character with Super Luck, and I thought it was worth the CP. Not worth more, though; while it will often end up used for something like guaranteeing maximum damage or a crit (success or failure, as applicable), it really can give a "choose your own adventure" vibe (in the good way) to a campaign. That plausible but unlikely Skill check can open up a new world (sometimes literally) for the players.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote