View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #33
Tomsdad

Default Re: Swords and plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
The general issue, which has already come up in this thread, is conflating so called evidence with so called common use and forcing those subjective conclusions into quantitative rules. Because GURPS has several constraints already built into this search for quantitative synchronization of your chosen pet theory, where you start will dictate where you will end up. The old saws and tired platitudes in support of these various positions are exhausting in and of themselves, before you even start with the rules as such. Suffice to say, realism cannot be achieved until you square what reality it is you want with the rules as they exist.
I agree, conversion into playable game rules is always going to be a hurdle to be cleared. Although I notice that there seems to be little difficulty in coming up with ways for either position to clear that hurdle* So the point of contention here doesn't seem to be what's possible to express in game terms.

But as to your points about "so called evidence","old saws" and "tired platitudes"! what's your evidence for your claim that axe blade were regularly used to cut through plate armour?

It seems to me not all positions are equally supported by evidence?

*Such is the adaptability of GURPS, I guess!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 07-13-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote