Thread: Unarmed Combat
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #40
tbeard1999

Default Re: Unarmed Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I think I like the Kick suggestion.

I am not concerned that a trained swordsman would be overall superior to a UC fighter. Otherwise the armies of the Middle Ages would not have carried swords.
I totally agree. But even your revised DX and IQ prerequisites mean that most martial artists will be in the ST 9-10 range. This results in 1 die of damage. They can only average about 0.5 points of damage per hit against a generic ST 12 DX 12(10) IQ (8) fighter with small shield and leather. Conversely, with only 1 point of armor, the fighter will lay 6 points per turn on the martial artist.

Eliminating the DX and IQ prerequisites is an easy tweak that would let martial artists allocate more points to ST. This would make them a little more competitive, but still markedly inferior.

The low damage is pretty hard to overcome (though kicks might help a little). Even a ST 16 (!) martial artist will do 1d+3 damage vs the 3d+1 damage a greatsword using fighter will do. 6.5 average points vs 11.5 average points.

Quote:
But there is room for UC improvement.

What if at UC II or III there begins a cumulative penalty to hit the martial artist, and possibly a slight damage reduction? Most of the arts teach both redirection of blows and (e.g., aikido) just not being there when the blow comes.
I have no problem with it and it certainly fits the trope. However, some will argue that sword wielding figures should be able to receive similar benefits. So I'd give the rationale some thought.

I also think that using damage absorption instead of (or in addition to) imposing a DX penalty on attackers is a perfectly valid way to simulate defenses. While it may not exactly feel right, it produces the right result - a target takes less damage and is a very simple mechanic.

Quote:
I think at UC 5, all your hexes should be front. UC 5 is based as much on Bruce Lee as on any observation of RW fighters.
Sounds good to me.

We really do need a clarification on the UC V nerve-strike ability. Is it 3 points of damage BEFORE armor and shields or AFTER subtracting armor and shields?

Addendum - I just spoke with the player who always ran martial artists in my TFT campaigns (he's CTO of my firm). He said that what we ultimately did on nerve strike was require that the martial artist do at least 3 points of damage BEFORE armor/shields and that at least 1 point penetrate armor/shields.

He said that letting martial artists nerve strike if they did 3 points of damage before armor was too powerful, while requiring 3 points of damage after armor was too weak. For what that's worth.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 07-10-2018 at 02:18 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote