View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #38
dds_ks

Default Re: Can you Parry a Bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Simple situation:

You are facing a grizzly bear. It takes a swipe at you with its massive claws. If you character is armed with a typical longsword, can he parry this attack?
This is not really an answer to your question, but I once had a mage with a special "anti predator move":

I cast a Flame Jet.
I used "all out-defense (double)".

My first defense was a parry with the flame jet.
Yes, you're right: A jet never allows a parry, it's in the description. But.
The idea was to discourage the predator (in fact, it happened to be a bear):
I never attacked, but I always tried to keep the fire between me and the bear.
So if the bear attacked - and only then -, I made a parry with the flame jet just to decide whether I injure the bear. But whatever the parry was, it of course did not protect me from the bear's attack.

The second defense of course was a dodge, and that decided whether I was hit.

Now back to your question: Some mentioned the rules for breaking weapons. I agree that there are rules for parrying unarmed attacks of very strong enemies. But this is how general rules apply for general situations. However, there is a difference whether the bear strikes at me or charges at me, I'd say.
If a bear charges, I would not really expect to stop him with a sword! Even if I hit him very hard, even if I kill him that way, the corpse of the bear still would have to much momentum to be stopped. So I would expect that in case of a charge I still might take full damage.
dds_ks is offline   Reply With Quote