View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
kkc

Default Re: January 14, 2023: AI Art In Gaming

In the spirit of respectful disagreement, isn't there a clear difference to be drawn between goods and art? The Luddites were certainly protesting a disruption to their livelihoods for similar reasons, but their work was always destined to be automated because it was something to be standardized and repeatable. By comparison, art at its best is a unique expression that's also representative of the state of a particular culture or identity. In rare but awesome circumstances great art represents a profound emotional state that all human beings can relate to. Even if we could trust that to an AI, I'm not sure that it would have the same ability to capture important moments in time.

Remember too that with art, we see purpose and intent that's assigned to or presumed in the artist. A lifetime's experience, framed by conflict or change, is what drives people to express something that can only be communicated in art. There's a reason why Steve's name on a game box matters, because I trust that the work he's involved in will be entertaining, include wry commentary on the human condition and will result in a game I want to play more than once. Curt Schilling doesn't inspire nearly the same amount of excitement, loyalty or spending from me.

I'm glad that there are game companies who are seeking to protect human artists and maintain demand for their services. AI art has its uses and purpose, but it also has limitations that would hold back games or whatever other media it ends up being used in.
kkc is offline   Reply With Quote