View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
panton41

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRog3r View Post
Just followed the steps on my arch linux, with the gca previously installed. Since i installed it on the default .wine folder, i skipped the WINEPREFIX stuff.

Worked just fine. Some minor bugs, and its defitely slower than in my virtualized win7, but still better than run a vbox just to do this ;D

thnx for the help ^^
If GCA is the only thing you're going to use under Wine that's fine, but if you install much else it will probably break the install.

The reason comes down to the fact that Windows is a heck of a lot smarter than Wine. When a program installs in Windows it puts the system-level DLLs into their own little cache so when that program runs it opens the ones connected to it (as a remedy to "DLL hell"). Wine doesn't have that and the DLLs get overwritten instead. That's why I recommended putting it into a WINEPREFIX.

The speed issue is probably our old "friend" Visual Basic 6. Wine is basically having to emulate two different systems (the Visual Basic interpreter and Windows itself) doing one or the other is fine (VB6 on Windows isn't terrible and native compile Windows code in Wine is fine) but you put them both together and it's a dog.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote