View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 03:45 AM   #9
acrosome

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Holdout, Search and Smuggling

Is the default use of Search skill a no-touch task? I ask because the example bonuses start at +1 for quick pat-down and improve for a skin search (+3) or full body search including cavities (+5). So can I assume that the "standard" task is some variant of spotting the bulge under the goon's arm that indicates a hidden handgun?

Are there RAW standard times of those tasks: visual search, pat-down, skin search, and body search? If there aren't does anyone have suggestions? Then, I presume, one could improve Search through time spent (B346)? Arguably, it might just be best to use time spent and say that when you reach +1 it's a pat down, when you reach +3 it's a skin search, etc.

Assuming that there are no RAW times, I'd suggest that the default no-touch visual search takes 1 minute. Thus a skin-search is 8 minutes (which I think is reasonable for something that involves loosening belts, removing footgear, and combing someone's hair ) for +3 and a body-cavity search is 30 minutes for +5. Reasonably, then, no-touch searches max at +2 for spending 4 minutes or greater observing your target.

Or should this be halved, making the default 30 seconds? Honestly, I'm not sure what is realistic and what is cinematic, here.

Also, I see no penalties listed. Instead Bulk is used as a penalty to Holdout skill. Thus the mention that any attempt of Search with a penalty of -2 or worse being futile seems pointless.

EDIT-- I don't have Pyramid #3/50 because I am so not into dungeon fantasy. Is the Hidden Weapons article only practically applicable to that and other cinematic settings? Or put another way, are the rules in Basic Set more realistic?

Last edited by acrosome; 11-01-2015 at 04:08 AM. Reason: add question
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote