Thread: TFT Play Style
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
phiwum

Default Re: TFT Play Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbeaver View Post
This all helps...I've been getting the impression that it was a meat grinder with lots of broken rules that players exploit to make it a gonzo mix of Rifts and paranoia
You'll hear about exploits of broken rules here on the forum because we talk about rules a lot and part of that is looking at edge cases where both exploits and ridiculous outcomes arise.

But in my very limited experience, these exploits don't really arise in play. Of course, one might find a munchkin who dreams up a character with some remarkable abilities, but such characters usually have weaknesses as well. A clever GM can work around those weaknesses to gently push the player to a more reasonable set of choices.

Or, of course, simply have a chat with him. Explain that even if the rules say that your goblin can hurl umpity times two sha-ken every half turn, it's not particularly enjoyable in terms of the game.

Or, if neither of these options are viable, take a gander at the house rule sections to see which tweaks seem necessary.

But when you look there, keep in mind that while, say, the lasso may be a broken weapon, I've never had a player choose to play a lasso-using character. In a dungeon crawl? How the heck do you get into that? Maybe my imagination is just too limited, but most of the exploits involve choices that don't fit into the milieu in my humble opinion.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote