View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #31
Nosforontu

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I've always played it like this -even when I was using basic magic. Otherwise...it just doesn't make sense.
I never did and players were still taking the advantage because certain Magic switches were turned on or off based on the local mana level. Normal magic items are by raw turned off in low mana zones and you have to purchase the more expensive skill 20 items for use in low mana, and even the best raw magic items were turned off in no mana zones. The advantage essentially turned that switch off for the player.

Additionally casters could usually replinish their mana levels every turn with Mana Enhancer level 2 (essentially Extreme Regeneration Fatigue) and got a +5 to their skill level which would reduce the fatigue cost of a spell by -1 for personal buff spells. Yeah failures/crit failures were nastier but they could generally count on it not being TPK nasty as much as a challenge moment for most games.

For RPM Mana Enhancer is a straight +1 to your energy accumulation rolls and no other campaign switches are turned on or off, and thus has to be compared to other ways to purchase just a straight conditional +1 to skill.

Quote:
If you are asking me if that' how it should be done with RPM? Yeah, I think it fits just fine (unless PK would like to chime in here). It works. I've proven that it works with hours of game play. Nothing got broken.
Its not that I think it would be broken, but rather or not the player was getting full value from the 20 points compared to spending it any other way to get that +1 Place of Power bump to his skill levels in RPM. Ruling that it essentially gets the 1 yard radius enhancement rather than the more restrictive [Personal] area of effect I think goes a long way to alleviating my personal concerns when looking at the games math.

What I never wanted was the price of mana enhancer RPM turning into rpms version of the Regrowth advantage which was incorrectly priced at 40 points and later largely replaced with the Unbreakable Bones advantage for 15 points. Or the Gunslinger advantage which got a text expansion in a later booklet to make the 25 point investment a better deal than it was initially, once players started to really dissect the gunslinger advantages math on the forums.

Quote:
More than that! The difference between a Lesser and Greater effect is triple the cost. If I were pricing a hypthetical advantage that did this I would say....120 points a level. At minimum. Maybe 150. I say 120 points because Control (Magic) is worth 40 points a level and I'd say about 3 levels are needed to reduce the cost from x3 to x1. So something that out, maybe 40 points a level as a advantage reducing the cost of a Greater effects multiplier by 1. So a ritual with 2 Greater effects cast by someone with this one level of this advantage would cost x4, not x5.
Interesting, and something I think I am going to want to look into. Definately was not thinking about the Control or Create advantages for RPM prior to this conversation :)

Quote:
And I'm not truly to bully you! Or anyone else for that matter, I just want people to have fun playing games. And if I can help with that...well, it makes me happy. Keep in mind that that halving applies to all Limitations on Magery.
Definately did not feel bullied nor meant to imply such in my comments. As far as limitations on magery I am roughly cosidering halve value in my campaign or full value of the limitation if charms have to obey the magery limitation as well.

Quote:
I've always used it as "If you touch a mana enhancer and you get the bonus."
To the best of my recollection I never did at my table but we havent had a mana enhancer character/campaign that it would make sense in for a number of years. Probably in part becaue we have played a number of different systems over the years and the last few fantasy games I have run in gurps I have wanted to feature Powers more than Magic in the games.

Quote:
That makes sense.
Rarely and with copious amounts of coffee I occassionaly make sense...not with any great frequency mind you but on occassion ;)
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote