View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Attribute N/A, Useful concept or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
An IQ 10, Will 0 sapient being is perfectly possible, both by GURPS rules and by "can I imagine it and thus it should be representable?". Consider a sapient computer program with no willpower. Also, certain effects could reduce anyone's Will to 0 temporarily without removing their sapience (like a super truth serum).
DJ's point still looks valid, though. A hypothetical IQ 10, Will 0 sapient still looks more like a 'thing' than a person to me.
Quote:
The real point is that it's perfectly legal to have a character with attributes or secondary characteristics of zero (well, maybe not HP) who can still attempt things based on those scores, but someone with n/a can't, and that's a difference worth being able to represent. With DX 0 you can still attempt routine tasks (at +10) like grabbing a doorknob, but with DX n/a you can't.
That's true, as per FAQ 3.1.5. The way ST 0 and IQ 0 work, like qualitative nulls [although ST has that curious exception for your own body weight], makes me think that maybe DX should be treated similarly. That's what has me wondering if it's worth it to just chuck the 'N/A' tag, making zero level atts fill the role. That reduces nomenclature clutter, although there might be some negative repercussions WRT certain powers or builds that I'm overlooking.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote