View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #178
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lucy's Choice: Let's make Lucifer Parallels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
I can't remember exactly how IW parachronics works, but it seems to me that a major downside of this kind of weapon is that if your world jump misfires you anhilliate the earth of the worldline you are launching it from.
Thus the usefulness of firing it on a timeline where the earth is already dead...

You probably don't do a last minute jump. You jump as early as you can get away with without sacrificing accuracy so you can abort properly. KKV's are hard enough to respond to when they don't appear in your skies with 10 minutes to spare: you won't see them coming either way.

Jumping requires 10 minutes of calculation immediately before it. If you don't have multiple power sources sitting around to be used, it takes longer. Its also requires knowing exactly where and when you are, so I'd make the first attempt at a relativistic speed jump fail because of time dilation effects.

Another major limiter is that to change quanta you have to go to homeline. And While I can see ways to refine the process somewhat safely, good luck getting it approved. so your weapon only works on one quanta.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 04-28-2017 at 08:29 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote