View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #16
Flameman

Default Re: [OCC] Poll : What makes a good PbP game? (will be applied)

Quote:
Genre: Fantasy, DF, Science Fiction, Supers, Space Opera and others. Which make you say "I've got to play this", and which do you particularly avoid?
Fantasy, Horror, Science Fiction. Most things are okay, only Supers doesn't appeal to me.

Quote:
Activities Planned: Do you prefer solving puzzles? or is it combat that enthuses you? How important is character development? Is negotiation an enjoyable part of play?
Count me in on social plots, in PbP you have good opportunities to flesh out the world and let your character build up a large social network where he/she can navigate in.
Puzzels are kind of hard, in a pen and paper game the GM can see when and where the PC's are struggeling and ofer a quick hint in the good direction. This is somewhat harder online, that borderland between too easy and too hard is very small. For the GM it is a lot harder to offer the correct hint that doesn't spoil the puzzle because he doesn't know how the players are thinking and what they are thinking about.
Some combat is okay but it should be about something and not just a seriers of dice rolls. Combat is also rather slow. Finally it should be interesting, no infinite smooth plain with opponents that rarely make an unexpected move.
Negotiation is okay as long as there is something of value to the PC to negotiate about. I don't care if I pay 3$ or 2$ for me lettuce, that can be handeld by a quick merchant roll. Let it change the plot if it goes wrong or right, make it mean something.

Quote:
Supplement materials: Which sets of rules make or break a PbP game for you? This includes Cinematic vs Realistic, G:Magic, Thuamology, Supers, Psionic Powers, DF, MH, MA, and so forth.
Realistic all the way. That doen't mean there can be no magic or somthing supernatural. I like it when the NPC I encounter are "real" and not just murder-hobo's. I also tend towards the gritty side of things, maby because I avoid combat, maby I avoid combat because of this, I don't know.
Which books to use doesn't really matter, al long as it fits the campaign. Any campain involving combat should include MA at least. I'am a fan of LT and it's companions.

Quote:
Plot: how important is the plot? do you avoid games without it, and only go for ideas that sound cool? do you prefer just wandering around letting characters make their own decisions? And is this question even an issue?
When a campaign has just begun it is almost necesary to have a strong plot to get all the characters involved in the world. In my opinion a GM should eventualy discuss with the players on what to do. Let the player characters find their own story after a while.

Quote:
Power Level: Do you love working with mounds of points? is such a prospect dull to you? does it matter by genre? similarly, (but not the same) do you enjoy being world shakers, or do you want to deal with peers? or is this even an issue?
Somewhere in the point range of 100-250 starting CP. Enough to let the PC's be good at something and not enough to make every character god.
I like playing that influential advisor or mage, but not the king himself or the highest ranking soldier in the campaign.

Quote:
House Rules: Are they annoying or wonderful? If depends, what determines this? or are they just all par for the course?
I'm okay with them as long as they make sense and don't pop-up all the time to spoil my plans.

Quote:
Gaming Group: Different players and GMs cause games to behave differently. when using PbP on this forum, how important is who is already playing in the game, or GMing it?
Most people I play(ed) with would be nice person to have around in a next campaign.

Quote:
Other issues: what other issues strongly effect how well a pbp game runs?
As a GM i like to get feedback from my players to see what parts can be improved , what they like or not. It's hard to judge someones opinion on something when you don't get an OOC response to it. I coud be doing it in an entirely worng way and not even notice it!

As a player I like GM's who are involved with my character and work to make somthing nice out of the thing we are all playing.

Overall I like seeing character development and a world that changes with the actions of the players. It doesn't have to be big, but should be something that matters for the chracters
Flameman is offline   Reply With Quote