View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #16
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [Thaumatology] Real world magical traditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
What do I need from the forumites?
For some kind of Norse rune magic system, how about associating each kind of magic with one of those Norse gods that had a day named after him? Of course that would create a frequently rotating cycle, which I do not consider ideal from a game design point of view, but it's just about all I can think of, for Norse magic bonuses.

Also, I seem to recall once coming across a statement that the Norse week had only 5 days, so there'd be no washing day or sun day apparently, but still one day named after the moon, and then of course Tyr, Odin, Thor, and Frej and/or Freja.

I haven't been able to confirm this piece of information with my low Research skill, though, but it'd be interesting if the Norse week cycle was out of synch with the Judeochristian week cycle, from a game design point of view (even if the weekdays give no bonuses to spell magic based on Judeochristain principles, Christian religious powers might still work better on Sundays; that's the case in my Ärth setting, and IIRC also in Ars Magica's Mythic Europe).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote