View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #44
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Insubstantiality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
True, but that is not actually Flight either, as you can quite easily fall with Flight.
Not so much really. That is, you can fall, but unless you have Cannot Hover it only will happen voluntarily or if your flight is somehow turned off. (Which may be most likely to happen due to unconsciousness, though that really shouldn't switch off many forms of flight.)

To make Flight emulate ignoring gravity, the only thing you need to add under the Basic rules is that you cannot benefit from diving as described on B398. Probably a -5% limitation.

(Logically, it might also have odd consequences if used in orbital reference frames, but that probably isn't intended for Insubstantiality. In most settings. Ghosts being unable to cling onto orbiting objects and instead being flung off on escape trajectories seems like something a setting in the style of Dr. McNinja might do. Though Dr. McNinja in particular quite firmly did not.)

That leads me to a point of curiosity about Insubstantiality: what skills do you use for endurance and agility during insubstantial pseudoflight? (Analogous to Flight and Aerobatics or Running and Acrobatics.)